SAGE is seeking an experienced outreach and communications contractor, from August to early fall 2019, to support the development of a San Jose Food Distributors and Manufacturers Business Directory. The production of this Directory, funded by a USDA Local Food Promotion Program grant, is part of SAGE’s ongoing work to strengthen San Jose’s food system. Previous efforts include: San Jose Wholesale Food Distribution Center Preliminary Development Prospectus (2018), San Jose Food Business Incubator Needs Assessment (2018) and San Jose Food Works (2016).
The Directory will have two integrated elements: 1) a database of all San Jose food distribution and manufacturing businesses (broadly construed, ~ 500 – 800 businesses), derived from Dun & Bradstreet (D&B) data; and 2) an assessment of the needs and aspirations of a selected group of 50 to 100 of these businesses, obtained through phone and in-person interviews. The City of San Jose Office of Economic Development (OED) is an engaged project partner. BAE Urban Economics is on the project team.
Contractor Responsibilities: (Outreach tasks are primary; database analysis tasks could be done by BAE.)
• Collaborate with SAGE and BAE, with input from OED, on preliminary analysis of the D&B data (to be provided by SAGE).
• Collaborate with SAGE, OED and other project partners to determine outreach methods (phone, in-person, through intermediary associations, etc.), optimal outreach schedule and outreach questions, and criteria for selecting businesses to be interviewed.
• Conduct outreach and compile results, linked to the D&B data; and lead analysis of the results.
• Have weekly or semi-weekly check-in meetings with SAGE and OED to discuss results and any challenges, and to refine outreach methods.
• Support a Food & Beverage Manufacturers Roundtable in San Jose, scheduled for late summer and being produced by Manufacture San Jose with support from SAGE.
• Strong outreach experience; professionalism in oral and written communications.
• Familiarity with San Jose food businesses, preferably including distributors and manufacturers.
• Project management experience; ability to work independently and with a team.
• Expertise in MS Office; expertise in Sales Force and graphic programs a plus.
• Deep interest in the topic.
• Spanish speaking strongly preferred; Vietnamese speaking also helpful
SAGE is an entrepreneurial nonprofit organization dedicated to revitalizing multi-functional agriculture near cities and fostering vital food systems that connect urban and rural communities. SAGE develops frameworks, action plans and model projects and action plans at the intersection of healthy food, regional sustainable agriculture and resilient communities.
Timeframe and Compensation:
Contract is for approximately 150 – 200 hours, starting in early August, with a completion date in October or before. We welcome applications from small teams. Compensation depends on experience. Potential for continued work following the contract.
To apply for the position, please email resume, cover letter and two references to firstname.lastname@example.org.